The Development Associate will be responsible for supporting fundraising activities.
The Development Associate will primarily be responsible for supporting the fundraising strategies, initiatives and all aspects of resource development and activities for the organization. These duties include grants management and writing; direct mail, fundraising appeals and campaigns; and database entry and management.
The Development Associate will work closely with the Vice President of Development and as necessary, with Advancing Justice affiliate partners, to ensure alignment and integration of our fundraising strategies in order to maximize the effectiveness of our collective endeavors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Act as thought partner to the Vice President of Development on issues related to fund development and activities.
- Act as an active member of the Development Team in the strategic development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
- Work closely with the Executive Team and organizational staff to provide leadership and direction with setting budgets, program goals and strategies, advancing new ideas and innovation that align with our organizational mission and strategic plan.
- In collaboration with program leadership, support the management of donor relationships and the identification and pursuit of new funding opportunities to support program priorities.
- Assist the Vice President of Development with the management of the organization’s grant portfolio through monitoring, researching and analysis of institutional opportunities.
- Lead grant and proposal writer for the organization. Responsible for writing, preparing and organizing materials for proposals and grant reports, and for the timely monitoring and submission of such.
- Work with the Vice President of Development and the Vice President of Finance and Operations to develop proposal budgets and financial reports.
- Prepare background materials and provide in-person support when needed for meetings for the President and Executive Director, Vice Presidents and/or relevant program staff with current and prospective institutional funders.
- Work with the Vice President of Development and the development team to support joint fundraising efforts with affiliates (inclusive of fundraising for joint program proposals).
General Development Activities
- Prepare donor acknowledgement letters and other development administrative communications. Maintain an accurate filing system.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of spring and year-end appeal letters.
- Assist in conducting preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Work with the communications department to develop strategies for online fundraising campaigns.
- Support development events and activities. Manage RSVPs and maintain guest lists; gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
Information Management and Systems
- Manage donor database; process donations and record relevant funder updates.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Assist with the preparation of development periodic income reports and projections.
- Ensure the integrity of the department’s Raiser’s Edge fundraising database through:
- Development and oversight of data entry protocols;
- Building and running unique queries, exports, analysis reports and targeted appeal lists;
- Conducting timely data entry and reporting;
- Training relevant staff and interns on protocol.
Other Development Duties
- Contribute to the department’s marketing functions by providing relevant website updates, activating social media communications and other collateral, as needed.
- Responsible for contributing to the leadership and success of the individual members of the development team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Development.
General AAJC Roles
- Live and exhibit the Core Values of Advancing Justice | AAJC, by contributing to an environment that promotes trust, teamwork, and transparency among staff, Board, National Advisory Council, affiliates and community partners.
- Contribute to, establish and follow policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of Advancing Justice | AAJC are implemented.
- Participate fully in decision- making processes; understand outcomes and be accountable for decisions made in, or affecting his/her area.
- Understand the values and principles of Advancing Justice | AAJC and apply them fully in work responsibilities.
- Participate in other activities, agency advocacy and serve on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Contribute to Advancing Justice | AAJC and Board of Directors meetings as requested.
- Willing to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must be proficient in Raiser’s Edge.
- Two-four years of experience with grant writing and grants management preferred.
- Two-four years of fundraising experience in a nonprofit or corporate is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Desire and capacity to work collegially within a team setting.
- Experience working with diverse groups from various sectors ranging from grassroots to policy institutions.
- Fundraising experience including building and developing relationships.
- Excellent communicator and writer.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments is necessary.
- Strong project and process management, including planning and coordinating skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through.
- Experience in using and managing a fundraising database.
- Experience and knowledge in Asian American, civil and human rights issues.
How to Apply
Send resume with references, short writing sample and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at hiring@advancingjustice-aajc. Advancing Justice | AAJC is an equal opportunity employer.