Multi-Media Strategic Communications Fellowship
Seeking applicants for role in strategic communications, especially in the area of traditional, digital, and audio-visual comms.
Organizational Profile: Founded in 1991, Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC (Advancing Justice-AAJC) works to advance the human and civil rights of Asian Americans and build and promote a fair and equitable society for all. To achieve our mission, we engage in policy advocacy, research, public education, community capacity-building and mobilization, and litigation strategies to advance public policies that enable Asian Americans and other vulnerable communities to reach their full potential and address unfair and discriminatory structures and institutions that systematically deny Asian Americans and other vulnerable communities their civil and human rights.
Based in Washington, D.C., Advancing Justice-AAJC is a member of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) affiliation. With our affiliates in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, we work together as equal and independent partners, operate under one name, and strive to speak with one unified and powerful voice to promote justice, empower our communities, bring local and national constituents together, and strengthen our multi-racial democracy.
Title: Strategic Communications Fellow
Reports to: Senior Director of Strategic Communications
Term: Immediately, Two-Year Commitment
Salary: Annual Salary of $50,000
Status: Full time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week.
Position Description: Advancing Justice | AAJC seeks applicants interested in gaining firsthand experience in strategic communications, especially in the area of traditional, digital, and audio-visual communications.
The ideal candidate is independent, innovative, and driven and is looking to join a team where they can gain real-life, hands-on experience. We are looking for someone who can commit to a two-year fellowship with the potential for full-time employment after the term.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with research, writing, copy editing, and development of owned media content like blogs, press releases, talking points, and campaign reports;
- Lead video shoots, including independently managing end-to-end process from video story boarding and shooting to editing and publishing
- Manage video and audio productions serving as camera operator, video editor, interviewer, lighting coordinator, audio recording operator and other roles as necessary and assigned
- Produce high-quality visual media for website and multiple social media accounts that demonstrate technical sophistication and an ability to convey organizational or programmatic messages succinctly and clearly
- Monitor social media, digital platforms, and traditional media placements to generate reports
- Create motion graphics, infographics and other data visualization projects to amplify video production
- A passion for storytelling through digital and traditional media
- Eager to contribute story ideas and new ways of thinking
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the head of the communications department
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least two (2) years of work experience in a related field.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent writing and editing skills, highly organized and detail-oriented;
- Strong outreach and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple work streams
- Graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite;
- Tech-savvy, proficient with Google Docs and Microsoft Suite;
- Competent at digital content management: Drupal, WordPress, Tweetdeck, etc.
- Self-starter, not afraid to take initiative and work independently;
- Passion for progressive issues
Benefits: Include 100% employer paid premium for health, dental, vision, life, disability and long-term care insurance. Vacation, sick and personal leave; 401K plan.
To apply for the communications fellowship position, please send a cover letter, a resume, and a writing samples (including a video, gif, or graphics) to:
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
1620 L Street NW, Suite 1050
Washington, D.C. 20036