Programs and Executive Assistant
This role provides high-level administrative, research and project support to the organization.
Organizational Profile: Founded in 1991, Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC (Advancing Justice-AAJC) works to advance the human and civil rights of Asian Americans, and build and promote a fair and equitable society for all. To achieve our mission, we engage in policy advocacy, research, public education, community capacity-building/mobilization and litigation strategies to advance public policies that enable Asian Americans and other vulnerable communities to reach their full potential and address unfair and discriminatory structures and institutions that systematically deny Asian Americans and other vulnerable communities their civil and human rights.
Based in Washington, D.C., Advancing Justice-AAJC is a member of the Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) affiliation. With our affiliates in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco, we work together as equal and independent partners, operate under one name, and strive to speak with one unified and powerful voice to promote justice, empower our communities, bring local and national constituents together, and strengthen our multi-racial democracy.
Title: Programs and Executive Assistant
Reports to: Vice President of Human Resources and Administration
Status: Full time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week
Position Summary: The Programs and Executive Assistant will be primarily responsible for providing high-level administrative, research and project support to the President and Executive Director and to the Policy and Programs Department.
The ideal candidate must be extremely detail-oriented, able to function independently, exercise discretion and judgment in sensitive matters, and have the ability to handle complex situations while balancing multiple responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- With the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration, assist the President and Executive Director on administrative matters related to the management and administration of the Executive Office.
- Work closely with the Policy and Programs Team and with other staff to engage in cross-organizational initiatives amongst our internal departments.
- Provide administrative support to the President and Executive Director by managing his daily schedule and calendar, coordinating appointments and travel logistics.
- Communicate with internal staff, board and National Advisory Council members (NAC) and other high-level legislative or agency officials on behalf of the President and Executive Director.
- Organize matters for decision-making, track implementation and follow up on issues as designed by the President and Executive Director and the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration.
- Compile and reconcile expense reports for the President and Executive Director.
- Prepare routine and advance correspondence including letters and memos.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
Policy and Programmatic Support
- Provide public policy research support on issues related to the organization’s programmatic priorities (voting rights, census, immigration, telecommunications/media/technology, litigation, community engagement), with specific focus on technology/telecommunications/media program.
- Research and monitor legislation, assist with the drafting of fact sheets, legislative testimony, agency comments and legal memoranda, with specific focus on technology/telecommunications/media program.
- Assist with the planning and moderating of policy and programmatic events such as briefings, rallies and roundtable discussions.
- Maintain the meeting and tracking database and manage the flow of information from policy and programmatic staff to coalition partners and stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Contribute to the fundraising growth strategy for Advancing Justice-AAJC, including research on donor prospects.
- Attend and provide assistance with organizational fundraising events and activities.
- As requested, provide content/information for donor communications and materials (donor newsletters, action alerts, special reports, social media postings, etc.).
General AAJC Roles
- Live and exhibit the Core Values of Advancing Justice-AAJC, by contributing to an environment that promotes trust, teamwork, and transparency among staff, board, National Advisory Council, affiliates, and community partners.
- Contribute to, establish and follow policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC are implemented.
- Participate fully in, and lead decision-making processes; understand outcomes and be accountable for decisions made in, or affecting his/her area.
- Understand the values and principles of Advancing Justice-AAJC and apply them fully in work responsibilities.
- Participate in other activities and serve on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attend and contribute to Advancing Justice-AAJC and board of directors’ meetings.
- Willing to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preferred in Government Affairs or Public Policy.
- Two-three years of relevant experience work experience in a non-profit advocacy organization and/or government affairs department is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- The ability to coordinate multiple tasks, concurrently being thorough and comprehensive, and to be able to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments is necessary.
- Must be very detail-oriented and extremely well organized.
- Must have good judgment and be able to exercise discretion in handling sensitive organization matters.
- Excellent personal and communications skills with an ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people and constituents.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Ability to operationalize vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, and exercise good judgment.
Send resume with references, short writing sample and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at email@example.com.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC is an equal opportunity employer.