Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC has been working to raise awareness about increased racism and discrimination against Asian Americans.
The Asian American community has long struggled for visibility and equity, and now our communities are facing additional physical and mental health harms arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the past year, we have seen a sharp increase in anti-Asian hate crimes and hate incidents. Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC has been working to raise awareness about increased racism and discrimination against Asian Americans who are being wrongly blamed for the coronavirus. This discrimination is taking many forms from hostility and suspicion that Asian Americans are carriers of the coronavirus to verbal abuse, harassment, and even physical violence.
What Can You Do?
Report and help us document hate and harassment: We encourage community members who have experienced anti-Asian hate to share their experiences and report to our website www.StandAgainstHatred.org, which is accessible in Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
Add to our crowdsourcing document
For local resources, please see – and add to! – this crowd-sourced document: AAPI Anti-Hate Community Resources
Learn Intervention Techniques: Advancing Justice | AAJC has partnered with Hollaback! to make training available to equip people with techniques on how to safely intervene when they see or experience anti-Asian harassment. The next dates for each of the free public trainings in our three-part series follow:
Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American Harassment and Xenophobia
- Tuesday, April 13th 2021. 7:00PM ET/ 6:00PM CT/ 5:00PM MT/ 4:00PM PT/ 2:00PM HST. Register Here.
- Monday, April 19th 2021. 4:00PM ET/ 3:00PM CT/ 2:00PM MT/ 1:00PM PT/ 11:00AM HST. Register Here.
- Monday, May 3rd 2021. 1:00PM ET/ 12:00PM CT/ 11:00AM MT/ 10:00AM PT/ 8:00AM HST. Register Here
- Friday, May 14th 2021. 12:00PM ET/ 11:00AM CT/ 10:00AM MT/ 9:00AM PT/ 7:00AM HST. Register Here
- Thursday, May 20th 2021. 5:00PM ET/ 4:00PM CT/ 3:00PM MT/ 2:00PM PT/ 12:00PM HST. Register Here
- Friday, May 24th 2021. 4:00PM ET/ 3:00PM CT/ 2:00PM MT/ 1:00PM PT/ 11:00AM HST. Register Here
These trainings are full:
- March 29 at 3:00 PM ET/ 2:00 PM CT/ 1:00 PM MT/ 12:00 PM PT/ 10:00 AM HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Monday April 5th 2021. 1pm EST/ 12PM CT/ 11am MT/ 10am PT/ 7am HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Tuesday April 6th 2021. 2pm ET/ 1pm CT/ 12pm MT/ 11am PT/ 9am HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Wednesday April 7th 2021. 3pm ET/ 2pm CT/ 1pm MT/ 12pm PT/ 10am HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Thursday April 8th 2021. 1pm ET/ 12pm CT/ 11am MT/ 10am PT/ 8am HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Wednesday April 14th 2021. 6:30pm EST/ 5:30pm CT/ 4:30pm MT/ 3:30pm PT/ 12:30 HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- April 20 at 2:00 PM ET/ 1:00 PM CT/ 12:00 PM MT/ 11:00 AM PT/ 9:00 AM HST. (AT CAPACITY)
- Thursday April 29th 2021. 3pm EST/ 2pm CT/ 1pm MT/ 12pm PT/ 9am HST. (AT CAPACITY)
Bystander Intervention 2.0 – Conflict De-Escalation Training
- April 2nd, 2021. 1:00 PM ET/ 12:00 PM CT/ 11:00 AM MT/ 10:00 AM PT/ 8:00 AM HST. Register Here
- April 21, 2021. 4:00 PM ET/ 3:00 PM CT/ 2:00 PM MT/ 1:00 PM PT/ 11:00 AM HST. Register Here
How to Respond to Harassment for People Experiencing Anti-Asian/American Harassment
- April 2nd 2021. 5:00 PM ET/ 4:00 PM CT/ 3:00 PM MT/ 2:00 PM PT/ 12:00 PM HST. Register Here
- April 15 2021. 6:00 PM ET/ 5:00 PM CT/ 4:00 PM MT/ 3:00 PM PT/ 1:00 PM HST. Register Here
Follow Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC to receive updates about our work, including ways to get directly involved in our advocacy efforts.
- Go to www.advancingjustice-aajc.org/get-involved, look for “Stay in the Know / Join our email list,” and sign up.
- Follow us on social media:
For additional resources on addressing anti-Asian hate and COVID-19, see:
- Coronavirus / COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism
- Resources for the Asian American Community on Anti-Blackness
Below is a sampling of media coverage of these issues:
- Video: ‘We are crying out for help’: Actors, activist sounding alarm on surging attacks against Asian Americans, American Voices - MSNBC, February 7, 2021 (9 minutes)
- News article: As attacks against Asian Americans spike, advocates call for action to protect communities, CNN, February 13, 2021
- News article: Attacks on Asian Americans during pandemic renew criticism that U.S. undercounts hate crimes, Washington Post, February 22, 2021
- News article: ‘Words matter’ as Asian American leaders urge action against hate crimes, PBS NewsHour, February 23, 2021
- Video: Asian Americans: Battling Bias, CBS News, October 9, 2020 (27 minutes)