Become a CitizenSeptember 4, 2019
Join one of our workshops to receive free legal assistance to help you apply for naturalization
Follow www.facebook.com/DCNewAmericans/ for up-to-date information and citizenship clinics.
What are the benefits of becoming a citizen?
- You can VOTE and run for elected office.
- You won’t ever have to worry about being deported or losing your visa or Legal Permanent Resident status.
- You could bring your family living abroad to live in the United States more quickly.
- You will be eligible for a U.S. passport, making travel easy.
- You can apply for government jobs that require U.S. citizenship.
You qualify if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Lived in the U.S. as a green card holder for more than 5 years (3 years if married to U.S. citizen)
- Have been physically present in the U.S. for more than 2.5 years (18 months if married to U.S. citizen)
- Can show you have good moral character
- Can speak, read and write basic English
- Can pass a test on the U.S. government and American history
Washington, D.C. Area New Americans Campaign Partners
Click on the links for upcoming workshops.
- Catholic Charities of Arlington, Hogar Immigrant Services
- Catholic Charities of Baltimore, Esperanza Center
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, Immigration Legal Services