Become a CitizenOctober 26, 2017
Free legal assistance to help you apply for naturalization: download flyers for our next workshop on January 27, 2018.
Register here to join our next citizenship workshop for free legal assistance with your naturalization application. Workshops are held periodically in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
What are the benefits of becoming a citizen?
- You can VOTE and run for elected office.
- You won’t ever have to worry about being deported or losing your visa or Legal Permanent Resident status.
- You could bring your family living abroad to live in the United States more quickly.
- You will be eligible for a U.S. passport, making travel easy.
- You can apply for government jobs that require U.S. citizenship.
You qualify if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Lived in the U.S. as a green card holder for more than 5 years (3 years if married to U.S. citizen)
- Have been physically present in the U.S. for more than 2.5 years (18 months if married to U.S. citizen)
- Can show you have good moral character
- Can speak, read and write basic English
- Can pass a test on the U.S. government and American history