Upcoming events from Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC.
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
To celebrate AAPI Heritage Month, check out the events on the calendar compiled by the National Council of Asian Pacific Americans.
Bystander Intervention Virtual Trainings
Anti-Asian and Asian American and xenophobic harassment are on the rise across the U.S. Unfortunately, anti-Asian and Asian American racism and xenophobia is not a new phenomenon. It has been part of our histories for a long time, and we have seen it manifested against different communities in many ways over the years. As the coronavirus pandemic escalates, we have seen more harassment, discrimination, and even violence directed at our communities. The Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation has been documenting hate crimes and hate incidents since 2017 through our website at StandAgainstHatred.org, which is available in English, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese. More resources are available on our new COVID-19 page.
One way we can take action to protect our communities is to learn ways to intervene effectively as a bystander without compromising safety. We're excited to announce that Hollaback! and Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC are partnering for a virtual workshop on bystander intervention.
The one-hour, interactive training will teach you Hollaback!'s 5 D's of bystander intervention methodology.
- We'll start by talking about the types of disrespect that Asian and Asian American folks are facing right now -- from microaggressions to violence -- using a tool we call the "spectrum of disrespect."
- You'll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities.
- We'll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening.
- We'll have time at the end for practice, and you'll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see Anti-Asian and Asian American harassment online or in-person.
We’ve had a tremendous demand for these trainings, and our first three trainings completely sold out. We’re adding a number of additional free trainings. Please note you must register in advance for all trainings. They will be capped at 1,000 people.
- Saturday, May 30th at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST. Register Here.
- Wednesday, June 3rd at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST. Register Here.
- Wednesday, June 10th at 4:00pm ET / 3:00pm CT / 2:00pm MT / 1:00pm PT / 10:00am HST. Register Here.
- Thursday, June 18th at 7:00pm ET / 6:00pm CT / 5:00pm MT / 4:00pm PT / 1:00pm HST. Register Here.
- Thursday, June 25th at 4:00pm ET / 3:00pm CT / 2:00pm MT / 1:00pm PT / 10:00am HST. Register Here.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. The training is currently only offered in English but we are seeking funding to expand it into other languages.
BYSTANDER INTERVENTION 2.0: CONFLICT DE-ESCALATION TRAINING WORKSHOP:
If you’ve already taken our Bystander Intervention training and you’re looking to go deeper into how to directly intervene and de-escalate conflict: this training is for you. Conflict de-escalation requires patience, a willingness to listen, and an ability to see the humanity in everyone, even those we don’t agree with or who seek to hurt us. Using Hollaback!’s Observe-Breathe-Connect methodology, we’ll learn how to identify potential conflict before it escalates using our “pyramid of escalation” and how to assess whether intervening is the right action for you. We’ll talk about specific biases that are increasing conflict, harassment, and violence during COVID19 — and the role of implicit and explicit bias in conflict. We’ll also learn how to connect with others by validating and de-escalating their feelings — even if we don’t understand them or agree with them. We’ll have time at the end to practice using real-life scenarios.
TRAINING DATES AND TIMES:
- Friday, May 22nd at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST Register Here.
- Tuesday, May 26th at 2:00pm ET/ 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST Register Here.
- Thursday, June 4th at 2:00pm ET/ 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST Register Here.
- Thursday, June 11th at 7:00pm ET / 6:00pm CT / 5:00pm MT / 4:00pm PT / 1:00pm HST Register Here.
- Thursday, June 18th at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 12:00pm MT / 11:00am PT / 8:00am HST Register Here.
2020 American Courage Awards
The 2020 American Courage Awards is an annual event hosted by Advancing Justice | AAJC, honoring individuals, groups, and corporations in recognition of their extraordinary courage or commitment to the cause of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) civil rights. It will take place Thursday, October 1, 2020. Stay tuned for ticketing and sponsorship information.
Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations. All nominations were due April 3. The description of the award categories are below:
The American Courage Award goes to an individual, company, or organization that has shown extraordinary courage or commitment to the cause of civil rights. This may include a corporate leader who has taken an important stand, an activist who overcame extraordinary challenges, an artist with a unique vision, or a journalist breaking an important story.
The Changemaker Award honors an individual, company, or organization who is a catalyst for change. This may include an entrepreneur, student or activist whose leadership has inspired action that has led to change on a local or national level that benefits Asian American communities.
Click here to see last year’s honorees and event highlights!
Register for our upcoming monthly census webinars on CountUsIn2020.org.
Citizenship Workshops in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia
Get free legal help with your citizenship applications at our citizenship workshops. Click here to find more information about the next workshop.
Youth Leadership Summit
The 2019 Youth Leadership Summit took place September 2019 in Washington, D.C. Meet our 2019 finalists and stay tuned for the 2020 application.
88rising - ASIA RISING FOREVER Livestream Festival
88rising hosted ASIA RISING FOREVER - a special livestream festival event on 88rising's YouTube & Twitter in celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month! An antidote to global self-isolation, the festival is a celebration of Asian and Asian American music and togetherness, demonstrating unity due to the pandemic and the xenophobic hate many are experiencing.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC thanks 88rising for supporting our mission and their tremendous support throughout Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Watch a recording: